When applying for a new passport for a person 16 years or older:
- Bring your completed application form DS-11 (PDF). Do not sign the form until the agent asks you to do so. Complete application using black ink only, the state department will not accept applications filled out in other colors.
- Bring documentation proving US citizenship such as your state certified birth certificate (this document must show your parents’ names) or your original naturalization certificate.
- Bring a current photo ID, one passport photo and two checks or money orders (one will go to the Passport facility and the other to the Department of State).
- You will sign the application in person at the passport acceptance facility
- The passport facility will mail your passport application and submitted documents to U.S. Passport agency for processing.
- You will receive your new passport and submitted documentation separately in the mail.