Call Before you Dig
Call Before You Dig Anyone planning to dig (property owner, resident, contractor, etc.) is required by law to contact the Utility Notification Center or call 811 or 1-800-332-2344 at least 48 hours before digging to submit a “Utility Locate Request.” These toll-free numbers are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Why call? Buried facilities can be anywhere whether under sidewalks, roads or within an individual’s yard. Calling ensures any “publicly owned underground lines” will be marked and decreases the likelihood of personal injury and accidental damage to the lines.
Is there a charge? No. There is currently no charge for the location of public lines
What information will I need to provide?
- Name and telephone number;
- Alternate name and telephone number;
- Whether work will be taking place within 10 feet of overhead power lines;
- Type of work to be done;
- Who the work is being done for;
- City, county, state;
- Location of work or street address;
- Nearest intersecting street;
- Distance and direction from intersecting street;
- Extent of work to be done;
- Special instructions for marking; and
- Township, range and section (if known).
What will I get from the telephone call? You will be given the following information and will need to write it down:
- A list of utility organizations in your area who will be contacted to provide locates.
- A time the markings will occur.
- A “ticket number” for reference purposes.